FIRE PREVENTION  

For your safety and the safety of others you should:

• Avoid unsafe cooking practices, deep fat frying, unattended stoves, loosely hanging sleeves
• Obey all warnings on flammable products
• Understand hazards of new to the market products, such as “gel fuel” for Tiki torches, indoor candles, etc.
• If a smoker; engage in safe practices
• Clean out clothes dryer lint collector before and after each use
• Do not use unsafe electrical appliances, frayed extension cords, overloaded outlets or lamp wiring as permanent wiring
• Clean your chimney regularly and often
• Never put ashes in your “green bin”
• Know the fire alarm signal and how to safely evacuate the building
• Report and/or remove any fire hazard

Failing to follow these practices has caused loss of houses and lives in the Kingston/Greenwood neighborhood. If there is any doubt, err on the side of caution, call 911.

Emergency Procedures for Occupant

Upon discovery of fire:
• Leave fire area immediately and close doors
• Sound fire alarm, yell “FIRE FIRE FIRE”
• Leave building via nearest exit
• Call 9-1-1
• Stay on scene at a safe distance, brief firefighters of the problem

Upon hearing the fire alarm:
• Leave building via nearest exit
• Close doors behind you

CAUTION: IF YOU ENCOUNTER SMOKE – GET LOW USE ALTERNATIVE EXIT

Smoke Alarm Maintenance Information

The Nova Scotia Fire Safety Act requires that every place of residence have smoke alarms installed and kept in working condition. Smoke alarms are very important for the safety of you and your neighbours by giving early warning of fire. If you are renting, your landlord is responsible for installing smoke alarms and keeping them in working condition, including testing, repairs and replacement as necessary. Your landlord must also act to correct any problem or concern you report about the operation of your smoke alarm.


© 2011 KINGSTON VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT / VILLAGE OF KINGSTON